Womencare was established to improve maternity and well-woman care to women and their families. A key objective of our non-profit organization is to establish a health care facility, preferably a federally qualified health center (FQHC), within Philadelphia to provide quality services for women’s health, maternity care and related health and social service needs.
We do not have a facility for a Maternity Center yet. If you are interested in resources for maternity, well-woman, or other supportive services go to our Womencare Birth Guide.
The philosophy and goals of the Womencare Health and Maternity Center are to:
- Provide safe, quality, and continuity of care for women and their families.
- Support women as they plan their health care.
- Respect women’s and families cultural traditions for childbirth.
- Work as a team of a variety of health care providers to provide cost-effective care.
- Be governed by a Community and Womencare’s Health & Maternity Center Board.
- Have collaborative support from hospitals in the community & region.
- Serve the healthcare needs of women and their families in the community.
Our Vision of the Maternity Center:
- Located in Philadelphia
- Accessible by pubic transportation
- Access to hospitals where there will be a formal agreement for transfer of women and babies with health risks.
It is anticipated that there will be less preterm birth, resulting in fewer low birth weight babies and a cesarean section rate of less than 10% with a staff of Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) and OB/GYN physician support.
Services and Physical facility needs:
- Birthing suites and operating rooms.
- A maternity triage center to include antenatal testing and a sonogram department.
- Ambulatory care offices and exam rooms for OB/GYN, pediatric care and mental health services.
- An educational center for various classes and support groups.
- Offices for social workers, therapists and psychiatrists.
- A childcare center for families and staff.
Plans to have diverse staffing:
- Certified Nurse-Midwives and OB/GYN physicians to provide 24/7 hour coverage.
- Nurses, lactation consultants, doulas
- Nurse-Anesthetists and anesthesiologists
- Sonogram technicians for ultrasounds, mammograms and bone density scans.
- Childbirth, parenting and women’s health educators.
- Pediatricians & Pediatric Nurse Practitioners.
- Mental health therapists and a psychiatrist
- A Momobile staff for outreach to the community and social services/social workers.
- Childcare health workers & educators.
We plan to offer neighboring hospitals referrals, low risk triaging and preventive maternity, women’s health and pediatric care in the community and a cost effective model of women’s health & maternity care.