Womencare was established in July 2009 to provide health care options and maternity care choices for women and their families in the Philadelphia area. It was sparked by conversations from the Northeast MaternityAdvocacy Group to address the closure of multiple labor and delivery departments and hospitals in Northeast Philadelphia. It is a social injustice for women not to have a place for birth in the community or not to have continuity of maternity care.
A key objective of our non-profit organization is to promote the establishment of a health care facility, which is a federally qualified health center (FQHC), within Philadelphia to provide quality services for women’s health, maternity care and related health and social service needs.
Womencare has launched grassroots fundraising initiatives for the start up cost of the organization. Please support our organization by donating and showing support for better health care for women and their families in Philadelphia.
The philosophy and goals of the Womencare Health and Maternity Center are to:
- Provide safe, quality, and continuity of care for women and their families.
- Support women to be a part of planning their health care.
- Respect women’s and families cultural traditions for childbirth.
- Work as a team of a variety of health care providers to provide cost-effective care.
- Be governed by a Community and Womencare’s Health & Maternity Center Board.
- Have collaborative support from hospitals in the community & region.
- Serve the healthcare needs of women and their families in the community.